Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Just Move

Tonight's talk was pretty convicting for me. If I seem angry, it's because I want to see change in myself, I'm not mad at you :)

You see, I sometimes like to run with InterVarsity; to knock on dorm doors and ask questions about Jesus, to risk for God, to pray in radical ways with our prayer group. And sometimes I like to talk about doing crazy things, trick myself into feeling exhausted by talking about doing stuff, and then use that as an excuse to sit quietly by myself and just listen to a large group talk; because I've worked hard by thinking so much and I deserve to be fed. 

To the right of this blog post is InterVarsity's vision for our campus; to grow spiritually through relationships because Jesus is the best possible life. As an organization InterVarsity strives to see the lives of students transformed so they can renew the campus and change the world. This being said, I think it's incredibly easy for us to see InterVarsity events as a place for us to get fed and to recharge; a battery charger.

What is the purpose of the church (the big, Kingdom of God church, not the building)? The German translation of church is the "house of the Lord." This translation turns the church into a place for people to go. The Greek word for church in the bible is Ekklesia which translates to an assembly, gathering, and movement. This church is not a location but a place of sending, of movement. It's easy for us to view the church as the House of the Lord, as a place to be fed.

But the church is something you can bring with you! What a blessing that the Kingdom of God is alive and moving and organic and we get to be a part of it!! So this begs the question: What does it look like to bring the Kingdom of God into your workplace, your classes, your home? I think to answer this you need to look back and see what God has given you. Through InterVarsity, God has given us community, a place to meet random people, the opportunity to bring God into everyday conversations, the strength the pray in a group. We can bring the Kingdom of God with us by leaning into what you've been given by God. The tools InterVarsity has given (anyone have stories about using the $5??) can be a part of that. 

What if, instead of a battery charger, InterVarsity became like a pump station. We are called to movement, not to be filled. The Word of God should propel us, it should push us forward as we begin to slow down. This can be an overwhelming thought; running and running without rest, without being fed. But I truly believe that doing the work of God and using what he has given us is restful when we fully choose in. I'm always amazed the ways God shows up when I think I have nothing left to give.

We are nearing the end of the semester and I just want you guys to think about what InterVarsity has given you. If you have found life and community here than please run with us next year!! We want to see Jesus moving on our campus, at Red Rocks, and in our lives and I want to be a part of that!

What has God done in you? What has he given you?