Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Atrophy

And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak,because she thought, “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.” Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering.

At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked,“Who touched my clothes?”

“You see the people crowding against you,” his disciples answered, “and yet you can ask, ‘Who touched me?’ ”

But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it. Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. He said to her,“Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.”
~ Mark 5:25-34

Some people try to get by with the bare minimum, and that carries them, as Ryan shared with us tonight. But I am very different, and that can be both a blessing and a curse. I compulsively try by hardest to do well, and that carried me up until college. But then Mines comes and slaps (nearly) everyone in the face, saying, “You have to give your whole self up in order to do well in this class, and even if you do, you might end up failing.” Thus, the curse. My life is exercised in an imbalanced way. My slight OCD will force me into wee hours of the night. I try to fix that by adding other stuff to my life. But if you exercise parts of your body completely unevenly, you’re gonna have a bad time. Exercise might be bad.  (This might not be true, but this is why I don’t ever physically exercise.) But God is watching wondering when I’m going to find the time to spend with Him. What does everything else matter? I’m killing myself physically and emotionally without God. When that part lacks, life deteriorates.


It’s hard to let go. I don’t think I even know how, but God sure knows how to make me, and that could be as painful as popping a bone back into its socket. But it’s better than the alternative: the muscles of the heart being victim to atrophy or deterioration.

Have some parts of your life experienced atrophy because of where your priorities lie? You’re not alone. But why is this? Why have our traditions triumphed our transformation? Why are rituals ahead of radicalness? We sit on our couch being lazy, we are at the desk “busy with important things”,  we sit through Bible study or Large Group like any other week, maybe thinking about the homework due the next day that you could be doing. We place ourselves in a room where Jesus is, hoping that’s good enough. That he won’t call us to stand, to go. That he won’t make us frightened, or won’t make us emotional, won’t make uncomfortable. Our faith has become weak and deteriorating.

This is sad. And there are stories in the Bible telling how these people of great faith risked their lives, their comfortable state, their dignity, and their life. We have brothers and sisters of God in countries all over the world where it is illegal to follow Jesus. But they risked. All because they would rather touch Jesus than comfortably be seen with Him.

Gosh, most of us are in some type of engineering. Our (sometimes obsessive and compulsive) minds have some sense of order, some sense of problem-solving. Why can’t we engineer our lives, innovate ways to face the (comparatively small) challenges we face day-to-day. Will you let those stop you? Will you let the fact that you’re a Mines kid stop you? I need innovation in my life by the Chief Engineer, my God. I am slowly attempting to challenge myself to let Him break me back into the person He meant for me to be.

I pray for uncomfortableness in the comfortable. For innovation in trials. For a longing to touch, a reaching towards God.  Will you take a risk and go for more than being seen with God?