Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Not a Maybe


When one of those at the table with him heard this, he said to Jesus, “Blessed is the one who will eat at the feast in the kingdom of God.” Jesus replied: “A certain man was preparing a great banquet and invited many guests. At the time of the banquet he sent his servant to tell those who had been invited, ‘Come, for everything is now ready.’ “But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, ‘I have just bought a field, and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.’ “Another said, ‘I have just bought five yoke of oxen, and I’m on my way to try them out. Please excuse me.’


“Still another said, ‘I just got married, so I can’t come.’ “The servant came back and reported this to his master. Then the owner of the house became angry and ordered his servant, ‘Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in the poor, the crippled, the blind and the lame.’

“‘Sir,’ the servant said, ‘what you ordered has been done, but there is still room.’ “Then the master told his servant, ‘Go out to the roads and country lanes and compel them to come in, so that my house will be full. I tell you, not one of those who were invited will get a taste of my banquet.’”


There are pieces in our life that are incomplete, not satisfied, and not even near to perfection. That’s why we are (or should be) constantly searching, striving for more. Not any human can be satisfied with their level of “goodness”. So we seek for more. Ever since sin came into the picture, we strive to fill the empty hole left there. And we do that with a relationship with God, and He becomes our Father and also our King.

***
I get impatient sitting or standing still for an extended period of time. As quickly as winter break flew by, the two weeks I wasn’t doing anything bordered on boring, doing the same think every day, not having to think or challenge myself, and not getting any reward out of being on the internet for hours at a time.
That’s a big reason why I’m excited for InterVarsity this semester. I love chillin’ with da peeps every week, but God asks us to step out of our comfort zones to so much more. Think about your life at school right now. This can’t, it just can’t be all there is.

Jesus tells a parable about a great banquet, or an awesome party that the master put on. The guests initially accepted, but when the time came, they made up excuses why they couldn’t make it. It’s like they got invited on Facebook, and after RSVPing as “Maybe Attending” they ditched at the last minute, thinking their remorseful words and explanations would make the host less displeased that they couldn’t make it.

Jesus isn’t trying to do anything to get us to come to His party. He won’t promise a bouncy castle and swindle us into a party where the food is bad, there’s nothing fun to do, and you leave hungry and dissatisfied. No, He does tell us what we’re getting into- what the proper way is to enter His party. He tells us to not enter in lightly. That all our affections must mean nothing to us compared with Him. That we should expect torture, taking up our cross.  He tells us that not only we are going to expect suffering if we do it right, but also if we just go half-way that we don’t even belong in the manure pile!

There is no doubt in my heart anymore; God is calling our fellowship to GO, to invite others to the party. But we just can’t be “Maybe”s to answering His call, to doing His bidding. “Maybe if my friends go, maybe if it doesn’t get too awkward, maybe  I’ll do it later, maybe if I have free time.” We can’t go half-way! Not even 80%! When we say “here I am, send me!” we should expect to be sent out!

God has a calling for you. He has put you in the places you are for a reason. No matter what year or major you are, you have an opportunity, no, duty to bring light to the dark places: whatever that means. Don’t be bound by structures, don’t let anyone look down on you because of your youth, don’t let your timidity get in the way. Do the stuff God nudges you to do. Be a “Yes” to His invitation.