Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Application: Judgement

"'Do not judge, or you too will be judged.  For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

'Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?  You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.'" Matthew 7 : 1 - 5 

Judgement is never a fun feeling.  A couple of years ago, I bought a package of diapers for a food/clothes/supply drive, and never have I felt so judged.  The cashier looked at me with a look that said it all.  I just started filling in all her thoughts.  "No wedding ring, barely out of high school, this girl is ruining her life."  I didn't even know this person but I wanted to scream at her and let her know why I was buying diapers. This memory is actually one I can remember quite vividly, but I am able to easily forget all of the times I judge others, especially friends.  

Ashley talked tonight about her worthiness scale.  How she used to have a minimum GPA for her friends, and how much life she got after she dropped that.  My worthiness scale is relatively small.  To be my friend, you only have to do two things; just don't be annoying and don't be stupid.  I guess this would be easy, except I seem to be annoyed by everything.  I digress... 

The Greek definition of judgement is to pick out by separating.  This is what our worthiness scales are doing.  We are choosing people to live life with based on what they look like, how smart they are, and if they're obnoxious or not.  We are separating people, people that could give us so much and make our lives so much better. This passage clearly states that we do not have authority to be doing this, and we will be measured by our own scale.  I could not pass my standards, I fail every time.  I don't think anyone can measure up to the standards we make for our friends.  The simple truth is that we all have planks in our eyes.  So obvious, yet so hard to remove.  

This passage does call us to help others remove the specks in their eyes. But we cannot love fully and have enough patience  and time to be delicate removing specks when we have planks in our eyes.  

We are called to two things; help others, but only after addressing your own problems.  We need to love our world; to take the time to remove the speck.  So we need to invite Jesus to help us drop our worthiness scales, so we are able to love others.  What does you're life look like without a worthiness scale?  My life looks free; without frustration, without stress, and no short-temper.  What about our fellowship, our campus?  Could we be known as a people without worthiness scales, without judgement?  

So I invite you to allow Jesus into your worthiness scale.  He accepts you, so why shouldn't you accept everyone.  Allow Him to take your expectations and judgement.  How could your life change?  Will you give this to Him? 

No comments:

Post a Comment