Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Application: Health

"'Watch out for false prophets.  They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.  By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?  Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.  A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.  Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.  Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
'Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you.  Away from me, you evildoers!''"

Change is a hard thing to inspire.  I know for me personally, I can have the best intentions in the world, but I still have a hard time motivating myself to actually change.  And it is also very hard to recognize a need for change.  Often, I think we see the things we do and say as good enough, but in reality, our hearts are not in the right place and our reasons are not beneficial.  

A common impression of Christianity is the expectation of good works. I certainly hope that we don't get into heaven based on good deeds, because I would kinda like to see whats going on up there.  This passage clarifies that it is not by words or works that we get to heaven, but through following the will of God.  The will of God and being known by Jesus are tied together. Unhealthiness comes from not being known by God.  But Jesus wants to know us!  He doesn't want us to pretend to be healthy; to say and do things right, but now really believe.  He wants more, He wants us to be healthy, He wants to change our heart.

I won't pretend to know why health comes from being known by God. This is a mystery I don't think we'll ever be able to answer.  But we all have stories; whether about ourselves, friends, or family.  Stories of lives that have changed.  Stories of discovering health and being known by God.  We all have unhealthiness in our lives, but when you do allow Jesus to come and work through that, good things happen. Addictions can end because God would be the one that we turned to in our times of struggle.  Divorce could end because we would love each other well. Hunger would end because God would work through us since we allowed ourselves to be known by Him.  

How many times do we think your healthy when really you aren't? How many of us think we do well by saying the right things, but not for the right reasons?  If we allow ourselves to be known by God, then we are able to be changed to become people of character, because God gives us the heart to accept that responsibility.  

This really hit home for me.  I'm able to put on a good front, say the right things, and do good things in His name.  But I'm really lying to myself, keeping part of myself all to me and not allowing God in, not allowing God to know all of me.  What's really helped me is talking to a close friend and praying through that with her.  Pretending to be perfect and not recognizing your issues and talking through that does no good for anyone.  I have seen amazing things through prayer this year and I am ready to watch God change my heart.  But it took some work on my part too.  So, if God is revealing anything to you about something you need to confront and change, I just encourage you to find a leader, someone you trust, and ask them to pray through that with you. Don't worry about being judged, we are not here to offer advice, just support and prayer.  

Do you believe this change is possible?  I think it can, and I believe it can happen now.  Are you willing to allow Him to know you?  He wants us to be healthy, are you going to let Him change you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment