Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Commitment... or Lack There-Of

"It has been said, 'Anyone who divorces his wife must give her a certificate of divorce.' But I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, causes her to become an adulteress, and anyone who marries the divorced woman commits adultery.
"Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not break your oath, but keep the oaths you have made to the Lord." But I tell you, Do not swear at all, either by heaven, for it is God's throne, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No,' anything beyond this comes from the evil one." Matthew 5 : 31 - 37

Right now I am supposed to to write about commitment.  How we have a tendency to take the path of least resistance; see trouble and choose to go the other way.   And how we need to change that tendency.  I'm supposed to talk about how we need to let our 'yes'' be just that and not to quickly change our mind just when the going gets tough.  But I don't really feel like I'm in a place to talk about that.  The going is getting tough and its not fun to stick with it.

But Ryan encouraged us to become a people that are accountable for our commitments.  What would it look like if everyone knew they could depend on you for everything you said you would do?  For me, this immediately becomes overwhelming.  I have committed to a lot and to do everything to the best of my ability would be quite a task.  Lately I've been neglecting school; spending a lot of time with friends and have been really uplifted in that, but really neglected school.  The thing is, I'm here for a reason.  Being a student is a huge part of my life and I need to hold true to that commitment.

I don't really have a lot else to say guys.  It's hard to write about something that hits so close to home for me.  I just want to encourage you to stick with your commitments.  God works in mysterious ways and it may take you being exhausted and stressed to show you His power.  Just know that He has not forgotten you. Take an example from Jesus' disciples.  They would not have been surrounded by His glory if they didn't accept the hardship that came along.  There is reward in struggles. 

I also want you to know that there are people around you that love and care for you and want to support you through anything you're going through, whether it be holding true to commitments or just trying to balance your life.  There is a support network, so ask for help and prayer.

Help me finish the post.  Do you have problems keeping your commitments?  What commitments are tough for you?  School, work, relationships?  And how do you deal with that struggle?

No comments:

Post a Comment