Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Lectio Divina

This week large group was fun and different.  So I'm going to switch up the blog!  Instead of one recap post, I'll post something tonight and the next two days. Each post will be about some aspect of large group that I feel deserves its own space.  Tonight I'll write about Lectio Divina.

But first I want to make a quick shout out to our worship team.  Thank you so much Brandon and everyone else that makes worship so wonderful each week!  I love hearing the new songs and I appreciate the change of style every once and a while.  You guys rocked it out tonight and I loved it.  I can't wait for next week!

Now for the serious business...


Usually at large group Ryan gets up and talks, teaches on a passage, and then challenges us to do something.  I think this is so wonderful and I love hearing what Ryan has to say, but sometimes I just listen to him, and forget about listening to God.  Tonight we had the opportunity to switch it around. Although we have spent time analyzing Matthew 5, I haven't spent a lot of personal time reflecting on what the passage had to say to me.  As Matty was saying tonight, scripture is living and breathing and can speak to us in really cool ways if we listen.

Lectio Divina translates to Divine Reading.  The basic idea is that through continual reading and reflection on a  passage, words, phrases, or topics can jump out at you and make an impact.  As Matty read through the beatitudes, I was able to do some quiet listening.  I just sat with my eyes closed and listened to what God had to say.

I rarely have this opportunity.  Life moves a million miles an hour and it is hard to slow down and carefully examine something that can change my life.

So I want to encourage you to do this more.  If you were able to come to large group tonight, don't stop thinking about Matthew 5.  Keep reading and reflecting on what God revealed to you.  If you didn't feel like He said anything to you, keep asking.  I believe God will not disappoint if you are searching after Him.

If you were stuck at a test tonight, then read through Matthew 5 several times.  If at all possible, it would be great for you to do this with a friend.  I want you to be able to listen to the words, and really reflect on what they mean for you.

Either way, spend time these next few days thinking about this passage. Read it again, and then again later.  Journal, talk to friends, do whatever helps you process.  But then take it to God.  Prayer is powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment