Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Love Your Neighbor


After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God. On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit." Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”


He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

Acts 1 : 3 - 8




In college, meeting new people is sometimes really fun. Getting new dorm neighbors, meeting the kids across the hall, or if you live off-campus, getting to know your housemates...it can be really cool. After a while, you find ways to bond, to really love your neighbors, and then it becomes really rewarding. 

But it can also be really awkward, for various reasons. It's always hard to start a conversation with a new person. Neighborliness takes time, we say. Love takes time; awkwardness takes time to go away. 

But once you become friends, you would want to share good news with them- like things that happen in your life or if there's some good chocolate cake downstairs. You would want them to know, right?

Jesus gave some commandments to his disciples, training them before He would die and later ascend. He knew that the world would need light, so He sent them to be witnesses to Jesus' life and light. He told them to share the Good News, first where they lived, then to the whole world. 

You might be wondering what this Good News is, in this day where not very much Good News is to be found. The Good News is basically that God loves us. Yes, us. Yes, you. And that He wants to have a relationship with us. 

I'm so grateful to wake up each morning and know that Jesus loves me. My life is truly blessed in pursuing His truth. I just find that so awesome. So awesome in fact, that I forget (or chicken out of) sharing it with others, thinking they won't care. Like I think they won't like chocolate cake or something. 

I have friends now who are tired. I think we all are. But some of us place so much value on success- our moods and future rely on grades and experience. Good news is hard to come by, again. I get the feeling know that our campus would be less stressful if we all knew that Jesus loved us. So why don't I tell them how I believe? (Because it's awkward sometimes. Yeah. But it gets better. And God won't let you fail.)

I've come to the realization more and more that God puts us in a place for a reason. Those classes, clubs, study groups...I've realized that they aren't for our benefit or sanity as much as they are for His kingdom. I don't live with all of these people, but they are my neighbors. And Jesus said to love your neighbors. So for this first week, I've decided to start in the places God has placed me.

Who is your neighbor? Well, everyone, but maybe you've felt like me lately: that some relationships are for a reason, and you've been wondering what that is. Maybe that purpose is to love them and ultimately sharing Jesus with them. Because when it comes down to it, will we remember the intense study sessions or intense heart-to-heart conversations that happened during those study sessions? 

Gosh, everyone. This is really going to happen. IV is moving towards evangelism, and I hope you join in. Let's start where God put us. 

Enough talk. Let's do something this week.